Thursday, May 19, 2011

The End

Right now it's very early in the morning, and I can't sleep, so I thought I'd write this up. It's all just too weird. It's too much to wrap my head around. It's all over. I've invested more than a year and a half into making all of this happen, and it's done. Kaput. Terminated. Bas. While the finals days were stuffed with farewells and things like that, it can't help but feel like a whimper rather than a bang.

Going home - that is to say, being able to see my family and friends for the first time in far too long - is pretty much the most exciting thing that's happened to me since I went to India. But there was so much momentum heading to this moment two weeks ago. Where did it go? Suddenly I just feel weird. I'm actually kind of disappointed that I'm not happier. I think when I get to the airport and see my fantastic family waiting there for me, all of this strangeness will be forgotten. Still.

What's the deal? I guess I'm much sadder to leave than I thought I would. This surprises me. I've developed a lot affectionate memories with this place, but a lot of really difficult ones too. This was not an easy year. It got easier, but I had so many frustrating setbacks and difficulties. I had months and months of extreme self-doubt. I pulled out and got better at being a person living in India, but still, it was rough.

Maybe it's the investment. How can I spend so much time (which feels like so little time) working for something and then have it just end? It's just weird. Everything I've been doing and preparing for over the last 18 months is finished. The real question now is this - what did I achieve with all of this? I don't know. I have some ideas, but I can't really answer that question right now.

Every once in a while I would think about what I could write, in summation, about this year once it came to the end. I guess there's no way I could have written it until I actually got here. I never suspected I would feel this uncomfortable with something I've spent so much time looking forward to.

As it was when I left, it's not what is coming ahead, but what I'm leaving behind that gives me trouble. I was deeply excited and intrigued by coming to India when I left, but I was a train wreck. Saying goodbye to all of my friends and family was one of the most painful things I've ever done. It's the same thing right now.

I have a lot of hope. I remember when I finally said goodbye to my parents at the Minneapolis Airport, and I got on that plane, I suddenly felt really good. The anticipation of the future, the new opportunities overwhelmed me. And while admittedly, Northfield isn't exactly something new, the future beckons. It's not just this immediate, already assured-to-be-awesome summer (I have some big plans) - it's the happily looming idea of college. It's the idea of continuing to become an adult. To continue enjoying life with my old friends and to make new ones. To get to know my family even better. To eat beef. And finally, hopefully, to reconcile all of the complex thoughts and memories that have come out of this year. There's no doubt in my mind that I've accomplished something here, but I still have a very vague idea of what exactly it is. I guess, as they said back at orientation, this really is a three year process.

This has ended on a more indecisive note than I thought it would, and suddenly I'm worried about reverse culture shock. Maybe my memories have fooled me. Maybe the US isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's the little things that get you - I remember when I went back to the US in October, the stairs in my house just didn't feel right. I HAVE made this place my home. The US won't feel like home right away. It's not immediately familiar anymore. That's worrying, but also kind of exciting - the excitement of rediscovery.

I don't really know what else to say. It's not very ceremonious or reflective or decisive, but this is the natural time to KO my blog. The exchange is over, and I gotta wrap my head around that. I'll be back here. That much I know. But it's time to go home.

I liked writing this blog. Travel writing is something I've really enjoyed, so maybe I'll look into doing that in the future, like Bill Bryson. To any future exchange students who might be reading this, I offer some advice - say yes to everything that comes your way (within reason, obviously), and enjoy it. It might feel like it's going really slowly, even at the halfway point, but it's not not.

So that's it. I want to offer sincere thanks to all of you for being there this year, even by just taking a look at this every once in a while. It was a tough year on a lot of different levels, some of which I'm only discovering right now. But it was, and is, reassuring to know that there are folks in my corner. To all Rotarians - I want to thank you for what you do, and for offering all of us this amazing experience. We couldn't get this anywhere else.

I can't wait to reconnect with all of you. I've missed home terribly, and once I snap out of this funk, I know I'm going to have a fantastic summer. And I anticipate that this Saturday, which, in a happy coincidence is also my birthday, will be pretty much the best day ever.

I also anticipate the day I come back to India, whenever it does come. It's kind of exciting to suddenly feel like you can be at home in two places. I love that I haven't even begun to discover the things that I've gotten out of this. I have so much excitement for so many aspects of the future. This truly was a worthwhile and excellent adventure.

9 comments:

  1. Ted, I'm impressed that you've confronted your feelings and posted them here. Reading your blog has been a treat, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TED. Your blog is awesome. It's been so interesting to read about what your life has been like in India, and it'll be really good for us exchange students to get together and try and work through what we've learned and how we've changed throughout our years. Enjoy your homecoming!
    ps-I like your reference to 'the wasteland' :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i actually see the archive i don't believe i hav read them all ! :)
    it was my first blog reading experience and you rock ted ! :D
    and next time when you come please bring a barber with you...or else more indian barbers will be abused ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted. Terrific blog post and now I look forward to seeing you here in Northfield and hearing how you are processing the experience from this side of the ocean. Good things never come easy as it seems you have noted so well. I can tell you this....your future is exceedingly bright and this experience has given you a unique perspective that very few take the time to learn. Congrats and keep "processing".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted,
    The previous post was actually written by Rick, he just happened to use my account. Now I want to add my own words of admiration to you for the year you have lived, endured, created and the future that will come from it. What a strong, thoughtful person you are! Looking forward to seeing you soon, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. SEMPRE SCOPATO E SBORRATO DENTRO AL CULO: RICCARDO BARRAI! E DENTRO L'UNIVERSITY OF READING!
    http://jenkins-ci.361315.n4.nabble.com/PRENDE-CAZZI-IN-CULO-RICCARDO-BARRAI-ALL-UNIVERSITY-OF-READING-RICCARDO-BARRAI-E-UN-PERVERSO-OMOSESS-td4896813.html

    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/riccardo-barrai-46840512b
    1
    RICCARDO BARRAI E' ORMAI UN OMOSESSUALE DI TIPO DEPRAVATISSIMO! NATO A MILANO IL 26.11.1996! D'ALTRONDE..DA SEMPRE VENNE SODOMIZZATO DAL BASTARDO PEDOFILO PADRE PAOLO BARRAI! MERDACCIA CRIMINALISSIMA! DA RINCHIUDERE IN GALERA PER SEMPRE!! SI, E' GIUSTO RIMARCARLO. RICCARDO BARRAI E' ORMAI UN PERSO FEMMINONE! E' DIVENUTO UN OMOSESSUALE DI TIPO PERVERTITISSIMO. MA POTREBBE ANCHE ESSERE COMPRESO: FIN DALLA NASCITA VENNE SODOMIZZATO DAL PADRE PEDOFILO PAOLO BARRAI! UN BASTARDISSIMO CRIMINALE!
    ( DEPRAVED PEDOPHILE RICCARDO BARRAI BORN IN MILAN ON 26.11.1996 MAKES LOT OF HOMOSEXUAL ORGIES INSIDE UNIVERSITY OF READING. A LOT. WE HAVE EVIDENCES BOUT IT. BUT ... IN SOME WAY... HE COULD BE.. EVEN THOUGH JUST BY SOME VIEW POINTS OF VIEW, UNDERSTOOD. HE GOT SODOMIZED, SINCE BORN, BY HIS FATHER: WELL KNOWN PEDOPHILE, ALREADY 3 TIMES IN JAIL, PAOLO BARRAI, BORN IN MILAN ON 28.6.1965. EX CITIBANK. FIRED BADLY BY CITIBANK AND BEEN DONE CONDMENED TO JAIL BY CITIBANK )

    A PROPOSITO DEL MALAVITOSISSIMO QUALE...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2
    E' DAVVERO DA ARRESTARE SUBITO ( PRIMA CHE FACCIA AMMAZZARE ANCORA), IL TERRORISTA NAZISTA ED ASSASSINO, PAOLO BARRAI, NATO A MILANO IL 28.6.1965. NONCHE' MEGA RICICLA SOLDI MAFIOSI E POLITI-C-RIMINALI, OSSIA FRUTTO DI MEGA RUBERIE E MEGA MAZZETTE, RICEVUTE DA LEGA LADRONA E STRAGISTA SPAPPOLA MAGISTRATI, NONCHE', TANTO QUANTO, NAZIFASCISTA DITTATORE E PEDOFILO: SILVIO BERLUSCONI! DICEVO, E' DAVVERO DA ARRESTARE UNA QUARTA VOLTA, E SUBITO, IL TERRORISTA NAZISTA ED ASSASSINO, PAOLO BARRAI. NON PER NIENTE, GIA' STATO IN GALERA 3 VOLTE. OPINIONI TUTTE TERRIFICANTI SU DI LUI! MEGA TRUFFATORE E MEGA RICICLA CASH ASSASSINO VIA CRIMINALISSIMA BLOCKCHAIN INVEST, OLTRE CHE VIA NALISSIMA WORLD MAN OPPORTUNITIES LUGANO, CRIMINALISSIMA WMO SA PANAMA E CRIMINALISSIMA BSI ITALIA SRL DI VIA SOCRATE 26 MILANO! NOTO PEDOFIL-O-MOSESSUALE SODOMIZZA BAMBINI! CACCIATO DA CITIBANK A SBERLE, PER MEGA FRODI CHE LI FACEVA! SBAGLIA SEMPRE IN BORSA! AZZERA I RISPARMI DI CENTINAIA DI PERSONE! FALSO&LADRO&TRUFFATORE! DIFFAMA SUL WEB A FINI NAZIRAZZISTI! FONDATORE DEI NUOVI MEGASSASSINI TERRORISTI DI ESTREMISSIMA DESTRA: "NUOVI NAR"! FONDATORE DEL, PROSSIMAMENTE, DI FREQUENTE, OMICIDA: KU KLUK KLAN PADANO! CONDANNATO AL CARCERE A MILANO ED IN BRASILE ( 8 ANNI E PURE PER PEDERASTIA OMOSESSUALE, RIPETO, PURE PER PEDERASTIA OMOSESSUALE)! MULTATO DA CONSOB 70.000 €! DESTABILIZZA L'ITALIA PER FILO NAZISTI SERVIZI SEGRETI SVIZZERI ( ITALIA, DICEVAMO, DA 30 ANNI, GIUSTISSIMAMENTE, NAZIONE SCHIFATA IN TUTTO IL MONDO, IN QUANTO FASCIOMAFIOSA DITTATURA DI BERLUSCONIA.. NON PER NIENTE, TUTTE LE PIU' GRANDI INDUSTRIE, IN ITALIA DA SECOLI, DALLA TIRANNIASSASSINA DI BERLUSCONIA SON SCAPPATE, VEDI FIAT, PIRELLI, LUXOTTICA, MERLONI E MIGLIAIA E MIGLIAIA DI ALTRE... E CHE SIA CHIARO, PLS, CHE IDDIO BENEDICA I GRANDI PM CHE NON SOPPORTANTO IL CANCRO DEL MONDO INTERO, SILVIO BERLUSCONI, COME HENRY WOODCOCK, ILDA BOCASSINI E CHIUNQUE ALTRO DI QUESTA AMMIREVOLISSIMA CATEGORIA)! FA CRIMINI SU CRIMINI E NAZI-ST-ALKING, SU INTERNET, SU ORDINE DEI PUZZONI CRIMINALISSIM SILVIO BERLUSCONI, PAOLO BERLUSCONI ED UBALDO LIVOLSI DI FININVEST. IL VERME ASSASSINO PAOLO BARRI, E' ANCHE, DA SEMPRE, INNEGGIANTE ALLO SPAPPOLAMENTO DI MAGISTRATI SCOMODI "COME BERLUSCONI GRANDISSIMAMENTE FECE CON FALCONE E BORSELLINO"! PAROLE SUE, DETTE SPESSISSIMO! ORGANIZZANTE OMICIDIO DI DAVID ROSSI DI MONTE PASCHI!
    Ho tantissimo da scrivere sul gia' 3 volte finito in galera, accertatissimo pedofilo omosessuale, ladro, truffatore, sempre falso, nazi-st-alker, mandante di omicidi ( spesso, ma non sempre, mascherati da finti incidenti, malori o "suicidate"... come quando fece ammazzare David Rossi di Monte Paschi, ma ne scrivero' in dettagli molto presto), mega ricicla soldi mafiosi e/o politico-criminali (piu' tanto di orrido altro), arrestato gia' 3 volte, Paolo Barrai, nato a Milano il 28.6.1965 e gia' residente a Milano in Via Ippodromo 105! Come presto meglio sottolineeremo, multato dalla Consob ben 70.000 euro!
    http://www.consob.it/main/documenti/hide/afflittivi/pec/mercati/2013/d18579.htm
    VI SONO TONNELLATE DI ALTRE COSE DA DIRE SU QUANTO SIA BASTARDO EFFERATO CRIMINALE E PEDOFILO PAOLO BARRAI. TROVATE UNA PARTE (CHE PRESTO AMPLIEREMO ALL'INFINITO E PIU')... QUI:
    https://es-la.facebook.com/public/Truffati-Da-Paolo-Barrai

    ReplyDelete